Monday, May 18, 2015

BEAUTIFUL INVADER.

My husband and I took a trip to Washington State in the mid 1990's. Here we are, say about 20 years later and I was astonished when Jim and I traveled the state of Washington to see scotch broom covering the state. It filled clear cuts. It invaded parking lots, coming up through the asphalt in places. It is everywhere a pest, however beautiful it looks on rocky outcrops.

Last week, on my way to Oregon, I discovered Scotch Broom beginning its March into the state. It had invaded the back half of my seven acres near the river. I figured I could get rid of it quickly. Not so, explained my plant biologist daughter. You might be able to contain it by keeping it from spreading by vigilantly cutting it before it goes to seed. But, I don't have 100 years left to do that.  I also have it on my property in Murphys. You have to get every plant. Had I known I wouldn't have bought the stuff.

So, I've started a petition to change that. Please sign for me and let your friends know.

Subject: SAVE THE WEST FROM SCOTCH BROOM

Hi,
I bought Scotch Broom and now have to spend the rest of my life trying to rid my property of it. If I had known it is a take-over horror that interferes with natural plants, animals, birds, sidewalks and parking lots; it gravitates and fills clear cuts and that the seeds last 100 years I wouldn't have bought it.
That's why I created a petition to The Oregon State House, The Oregon State Senate, Governor Kate Brown, The United States House of Representatives, The United States Senate, and President Barack Obama, which says:
"Invasive plants are considered innocent until proven guilty. By then, they are out of control and cost millions to eradicate when possible. Why allow nurseries to sell invasive foreign species? At least labeling should be required. Simple testing first would save billions. "

Will you sign this petition?
Click here:
http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/save-the-west-from-scotch?source=c.em.cp&r_by=13097902
Thanks!

No comments: