Wednesday, January 20, 2016

ANIMALSCAPES ART SHOW.

Hidden Giants by Lori Kelly
 
Hidden Giants by Lori Kelly.   The rules behind this competitive art show called Animalscapes, of Amador, Calaveras and Tuolumne counties, required depictions of animals from our area. I know we don't have elephants.
Chains to Flowers by Jim Sells
 
Chains to Flowers by Jim Sells.  A second elephant, embracing an unmistakable theme, and preciously done, reminded me that we do have elephants in Calaveras county, in the rescue acres at PAWS, the Performing Animal Welfare Society. They definitely live here.
Black Tail Deer by Laurie Williams.
 
Black Tail Deer by Laurie Williams.  The animals I see the most is deer.
Companions-Sifu Berchtold
 
Companions-Sifu Berchtold. And these pesty little beauties, the pileated woodpeckers.
Whee! By Juliana Tillman
 
Whee! By Juliana Tillman. Visitors can vote for a favorite. I spoke with an arts council friend who was a judge and she was surprised at the outcome. She did not reveal her choice as discretion is important in these things. None that placed would have been my picks. I find that happens a lot at art and quilt shows.  I quickly decided this one was going to be my fav. The opening event was one where you could meet the artist, and I met some of my favorite artists. Not all had an entry, but they do turn up for the arts.
Meet the artist, Juliana Tillman
 
Meet the artist, Juliana Tillman  I managed to corral the artist, I'd never met her before.
Spotted Owl-Forget Me Not, Diana Boyd
 
Spotted Owl-Forget Me Not, Diana Boyd.  There were many owls entered in the competition. Held at Kautz Winery, I learned that the Owl is the symbol of the Kautz Coat of Arms.
DSC07552 (Copy)

And, two real owls there to raise money for Wildlife Rescue organizations. This is a barn owl.
Sawwhet owl
 
And this sawwhet owl is three years old and looks like a baby. She bites, the rescue worker told me. Her role in life is to tear her prey to bits and she is good at it. On an African Safari I took in 1997, that point was made so unforgettably clear, I could never again view deer as Bambi's nor lions as talking characters. The wild is something to respect and I never cross that line and feed wild animals. I love watching, though.
Bell Meadow Bears, Karen Nina Kling
 
Bell Meadow Bears, Karen Nina Kling. Baby animals, no matter what specie, are adorable.
The Threat by Marta Magstrali
 
The Threat by Marta Magstrali.  Named the threat, huh!  The most petted piece in the show. You couldn't help but run your hands over this unique fellow.
DSC07582 (Copy)

The little mouse on his behind made me smile. What an enjoyable piece of art.
DSC07573 (Copy)

And, then I came upon the piece I voted for. This Horse Head by Larissa Stephenson. So real looking I wanted to reach out and pet its nose, even though the feel of velvet would be missing.
DSC07555 (Copy)

The show had a musician and young women passed out champagne and hors d'oeuvres. It was lovely and I'll see the show again when it moves to Amador County. I'm meeting a friend from Discovery Bay there for lunch next month.
Art Director Susie Hoffman
 
I met Art Director, Susie Hoffman. I stopped her to take a picture of her feather earrings, very Native American looking. She bought them in Paris. She is director at Town Hall Arts, Galerie Copper in Copperopolis. She invited me to visit and I will get there one of these days. I love that I live in a community where the arts have such  great prominence. For the rest of my photos click the link below:

2016-1-15-AnimalScapesArtshow

No comments: