Saturday, May 7, 2016

CHALLENGES.

DSC08080 (Copy)

Blogging is going to be sporadic as I recuperate from rotator cuff surgery. Therapy once a week for a total of 16 weeks and remaining in a sling for those weeks necessarily hampers my activities, as in NO driving. Count down, 13 weeks to go.
DSC08016 (Copy)

I've been fortunate to have Jim take care of me, drive me around to my appointments and even give a private serenade on the side. He has taken up harmonica as you can tell from an earlier blog. Quite challenging for him. I face the challenges of getting well, obeying doctor's instructions and limiting activities-hard for me.
DSC08071 (Copy)

One of the real treats of my "down" time was having Kathryn, my husband's daughter, bring her husband Hank to meet me. Catching up with family matters, pictures mostly, since we have shared by email necessary dates and information for the family genealogy. A natural  interest in our respective ancestors is a fascinating subject. Now Kathryn has married into a large, active family with plenty of exciting new faces, including Hank's mother who lives near them. She is 94 years old.
DSC08067 (Copy)

And we cooked. Hank knows his way around the kitchen and loves fixing breakfast. Here he is testing one of Kathryn's waffles.  And I managed a couple of crock pot dinners with their help. We ate, and snacked and toasted a glass of vino or two. Hey, isn't that what family gatherings are all about? In part, anyway. It tickled me to see Kathryn with her nose in the papers while eating, a habit she must have inherited from her dad. She loves crosswords and Hank prefers sodoko.
DSC08074 (Copy)

Kathryn has a friend in Angels Camp she and Hank are also visiting. Hank spent time in the Motherlode as a kid with his family, so the area is familiar to him.
DSC08073 (Copy)

Jim took our picture before they left. Her half brothers and sisters were working and unable to visit while here, but we expect to see much more of them in the future and fix that.
Kathryn's children live in Southern California, and like all adult children, they have their own busy lives, too.  But, someday, we hope to all get together. Isn't that cool?

No comments: