Sunday, March 5, 2017

THE CAMEL FAIR AT NAGUAR

dsc09924-copy
We arrived at Naguar in the afternoon. This is our tent, which is roomy, comfortable and has a flush toilet. Hot water is available at certain hours of the day so you can plan your showers.   There are no locked doors  but many privacy shades. Quite an amazing place.
dsc09927-copy
This couple sit at the entrance to the dining tent and play music while we eat. All tips are paid by OAT, but one day I handed over some rupees and she was very grateful to have them. She may have had a small drum one day.
dsc09926-copy
He showed me his instrument, but they don't speak English so I have no idea what it is called.
dsc09925-copy
The first thing we did when we arrived was eat lunch and then for Theo and I, it was to bed.
dsc09934-copy
He has a slight temperature and I gave him half of an Ibuprofen, this is the second time, and he hit the sack. I seem to have caught his cold and we both missed the show in the center of the tent hotel that night.
dsc09930-copy
A couple of times I peeked out and tried to get a decent picture of the dancers. There were women dancing with piles of plates or pillows on their heads swishing their beautiful skirts and shawls. The music was exciting and the entertainers numerous. A normal camera doesn't have a chance, but it was enjoyable even so. Theo slept through it all.
dsc09937-copy
In the morning, we both felt well enough to go for a camel ride. Our camel choices were right outside the tent complex.
dsc09939-copy
I was eyeing this pleasant fellow. He isn't tied up to anything. I talked to him and especially admired the way he sat, with his feet tucked under him. He was  friendly and used to people.
dsc09943-copy
This camel was acting up and giving his drover a hard time.
dsc09944-copy
The drovers control them with a set of double reins from behind. It may be this camel is not fully trained.
dsc09946-copy
Kathy, Sandy and Diane opted for a cart ride. They agreed to hold my purse for me.
dsc09948-copy
Ellen, Otto and Pam are ready to go, kind of surrounded by  a  group of the curious kids that always want to see tourists. The size of Otto's feet might be the attraction. (No offense, Otto.)
dsc09950-copy
Chuck, Kris and Trish are in a third cart. I love the carpet in this cart and wonder if it is made from camel hair.
dsc09954-copy
Theo is all smiles as he gets his ride. And, I got the camel I had my eye on, too.
dsc09956-copy
Once you get comfortable with the gait, it is a comfortable ride. I took this picture because the kid leading this camel on the left, appeared to be about six years old.
dsc09958-copy
It is quite a sight to see so many camels in one place. Most of them are for sale.
dsc09960-copy
This struck me as a cruel way to tether an animal. His haircut design is interesting and he has no painted brand yet. I hope he gets a new owner.
dsc09962-copy
This young boy was indicating that I should let go with both hands, and I did. These people have such pleasant personalities and a great sense of humor.  It would be difficult to fall off a camel. They are quite safe to ride.dsc09964-copy
Well, I may have to take that back. They aren't running, or on their own. And, Hugo's pack looks like it is slipping off the camel's back.
dsc09979-copy
It's about a 20 minute ride to the main part of the fair, and we all unload.
dsc09987-copy
Theo took my picture with my camel. I got to pet him and scratch him behind his ears. He was just a pleasant animal through the whole thing.
dsc09990-copy
A group of curious girls wanted to look at us. The girl on the left noticed I have gold fillings and she showed me hers, two front teeth with gold.  They want to ask questions, but communicating is kind of hit and miss. Nice. And they love having their pictures taken.
dsc09991-copy
Ronvir walked us around the fair and I attracted a boy friend.
dsc09995-copy
It is like our own fairs. You can see the animals, go to a horse race, get a hair cut,  find camp food, watch performances.
dsc09996-copy
This woman tends the fire while she nurses her child.
dsc09997-copy
With so many camels around, there is plenty of dung to be hauled away.
I'm having difficulty with pictures, so I'll finish this blog tomorrow.

No comments: